Woolman Teen Leadership Camp
These exciting programs takes the Summer Camp experience to a whole new level for 15 and 16 year olds: We offer a two-week hiking program, a one-week farming and cooking program, and a two-week bike repair and bike touring program.
Hiking Program (Two weeks): TLCers will spend two days bonding, learning about their trip, and preparing for hiking. They and their trip leaders will then embark on a 10-day backpacking trip along the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT). They will then return to camp, and will have two days of closure at the end.
Farming & Cooking Program (One week): TLCers will spend their week working in Woolman's organic garden, learning about farming, plants and the farm to table journeys of the food we eat. They will learn nutrition and cooking skills as they prepare many of their meals with the fruits and vegetables harvested.
Bike Repair and Bike Touring Program (Two weeks): TLCers will spend the first 5 days fixing up a Woolman bike or a bike they have brought from home, learning bike repair, learning bike safety, and building panniers (saddlebags). The group will then embark on a week-long bike tour in the surrounding area, camping out each night. They will then return to camp, and will have two days of closure at the end.
Campers are welcome to attend more than one TLC program. Woolman Teen Leadership Camp is open to everybody 15-16 years old.
What Our Programs Offer
- More incredible trips to places like Tahoe National Forest and the Yuba River, as well as some cool new destinations! Teens enjoy an expanded opportunity to take on a longer and more challenging expedition, explore new levels of outdoor self reliance and participate in impacting stewardship projects.
- Learn new skills like trip planning, leadership, trail cooking, native plant identification, permaculture, primitive skills, survival skills and even time for solo wilderness reflection.
- Leadership opportunities for working with the younger campers, peer leadership in formats such as teambuilding and problem solving, and even the opportunity to participate in service and legacy oriented projects that will leave a lasting imprint on the community and the environment.
- Place-based education will give you fascinating insights about the natural world you call home. Explore the depth of yourself as a sensitive, unique and dynamic human being in a constantly transitioning world. ALL learning is outside the box, and you are not just the learner---you are the teacher too. This is the chance to really explore the depths of your capacity to share the things that you feel are significant in an interactive process of self discovery and environmental exploration.
- Personal achievements combine good work with interesting learning and great fun. The pursuit of goal designed by your own interests drive the experience. You will be supported to grow exactly the way you wish, with challenges fit to your unique heart and mind.
- Amazing friendships that last and open brand new doors. Our campers return season after season and share their stories with us about the connections made at camp and the deep significance many of them grew to represent along timelines of many years. It cannot be overstated how meaningful it is to stay in touch with those who were close to you when you experienced your most signficant and impacting life events.
Our Teen Leadership Camp Goals
- To foster, facilitate and support the growth of teen minds, hearts and spirits.
- To explore the natural world and create platforms for reflection upon one's place in it and impact on it.
- To develop and mature the capacity for self-reliance and the depth of worldly awareness.
- To challenge the breadth of communication skills, experiences moments of genuine empathy and openness of the soul.
- To engage with service and stewardship, and explore the extent to which personal passion and interest can drive signficant change.
- To provide direct, active platforms for leadership at multiple levels, and to explore different formats of leadership itself.
- To examine the notions of peace, justice, sustainability, simplicity and integrity, and how each influence our lives and our values.
- To seek and to find moments of silence, reflection, relaxation, connection and joy---with friends new and old, and under the tutelage of caring and supportive guides.
This program is a powerful pathway for any teen. It is underscored by a commitment to balance camper-driven objectives with counselor guided challenges. No camper will ever be pushed more than they choose with their own free will. If you feel that this is a fit for your teen, please do not hesitate to contact us (using the link at the bottom of this page) and converse about how to support him or her in the process.